Straight out of one of Mom's old church cookbooks, this recipe for bacon-wrapped green bean bundles is a definite Holiday dinner game-changer.
If you grew up in the South, your mom or grandmother more than likely had a church cookbook (or several) filled with recipes from around the community. These cookbooks were the ORIGINAL Google when it came to finding new recipes for everything from main and side dishes for Sunday dinner, to new desserts and treats for the Holiday season. You can usually tell which recipes are the best in the book by locating the more worn out pages, or finding the ones that have hand-written amendments to them. I recently dug into one of my mom’s old cookbooks and pulled out one of my favorite recipes for the Holiday season: bacon-wrapped green beans.
Bacon and green beans are two things that by themselves are delicious, and you’ve probably tried a dish or two with a combination of these two ingredients. These bacon-wrapped green beans, however, hits all of your tastes buds with hints of both sweet and savory, in a perfect combination of flavors that will have your family headed back for seconds every time.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Bacon-Wrapped Green Bean Bundles
- 2 (16 oz.) cans whole or cut green beans (whole works the best!)
- 1 package of bacon
- 3/4 stick of butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- garlic powder
Cooking Directions for Bacon-Wrapped Green Beans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut bacon slices in half.
- Wrap around a bunch of green beans and place in dish (You can also use toothpicks to “fasten” your bundles together if you’re having trouble!)
- Melt your butter/margarine.
- Mix brown sugar into melted butter/margarine. Stir well.
- Mix garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste into melted butter/margarine. Stir well.
- Pour glaze over bacon-wrapped green beans
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
Stay up to date with all things Bluff City Weekend!